Tuesday, July 31, 2012

End of week 4

I missed the weight lifting and one day of core and upper body workouts so I missed 2 out of 6 workouts. We had to do some running and weight lifting for school and I was too sore after that to do the weight lifting. Went to the gym yesterday and was feeling pretty good. Did not get video because I was by myself and had  nowhere to set my phone to record. On my standing vertical I felt like I was jumping a tad bit higher, maybe 1/2". I was getting my fingers over the rim but could not quite grab it. My one step vertical was about the same, I was hitting rim a little below my fingers. Running and jumping off of 2 feet I grabbed and hung on the rim with 2 hands for the first time which is an accomplishment. I also dunked a very small ball about the size of a soft ball. Running and jumping off of 1 foot was terrible. I am jumping about 2" lower than I was before I started the program. I personally think it is because I do not jump as much as I did before the program and that has hurt me. Maybe the Jump Manual just is not for me and I need to do like Steven @stevendunks on youtube. He mostly just jumps a lot and has seen great progress over the months. Not sure what to do but I have not seen the gains I thought I would...

2 comments:

  1. Hey man, congrats on grabbing the rim with 2 hands! That is a major accomplishment. And if it makes you feel any better, I didn't get that until week 6. So, you are ahead of me!

    So, don't get discouraged! Focus on the positive. Any loss in your one step vertical is only temporary likely due to your legs simply being really tired.

    Some things to think about

    - Am I doing every rep in each exercise as explosively as possible?

    - Am I stretching every day?

    - Am I getting stronger? Am I writing down every single exercise I do with the number of reps and weight?

    In my first 12 weeks, I missed 3 out of the 72 workouts (6 workouts per week x 12 weeks). So keep in mind, consistency is a big part of this.

    Also, if you are going to miss any workouts during a week, I would make sure it's not the plyometric or weight workout. Those 2 are critical. The others are important too, but you got to get those 2 in for sure.

    Sorry for the long reply but you've been following my blog closely so wanted to return the favor.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem on the long reply, it just shows that you care about my success and I appreciate that. I am trying to not miss any workouts but only do if I am sore or not feeling good (sore throat). I do have a spiral I take with me and write down all of my weights and so far I have been increasing every week. Last night at the park I got a great surprise which I am about to make a post about. Thanks for the encouragement man!!

      Delete